- Main Solar Page
- Solar Thermal Power Plants In California
- List of Solar Thermal Power Plants in California (Excel File)
- Solar PV Systems In California
- Utility-Scale Solar Photovoltaic Projects In California
Photovoltaics (PV) Data
Reports and Documents
Other Places To Visit
California Solar Photovoltaic Statistics & Data
Solar Photovoltaics 1998 through 2006
Emerging Renewables & Self Generation Incentive Programs
The California Energy Commission's Emerging Renewables Program (ERP) and the California Public Utilities Commission's Self Generation Incentive Program (SGIP) were the predecessors of the current California Solar Initiative. ERP funded PV, wind, and fuel cells from 1998 up to the end of the ERP on December 31, 2006. The rebate paid for approximately 26,700 PV systems on residential properties, with an installed capacity of 99.11 megawatts (MW).
Under ERP, the PV system size limitation was 30 kilowatts (kW). The complementary program run by the California Public Utilities Program (Self Generation Incentive Program - SGIP) was for systems larger than 30 kW and included other technologies as well (wind, fuel cells, combined heat and power, and biogas). Approximately, 6,300 larger PV systems were installed under the SGIP with a capacity totalling 180.426 MW.
Note that the table below only gives completed systems through the end of 2006 - the end of these programs. Some installations paid by these programs (especially larger projects) completed their installations in 2007-2008.
Total Grid-Connected PV Systems in California
For year-by-year data, please download the Excel file below the table.
(completed systems through 12/31/2007)
|Period||Total Capacity |
Pre-ERP & SGIP
ERP & SGIP
because of accounting changes between 1981 and 2006.
Statewide Grid-Connected PVs, 1981 to 12/31/07 (Excel file, 144 kb)
Note: This data only includes grid-connected PV systems.
Emerging Renewables Program Funded and Completed Systems Under 30 kW
- Energy Commission Emerging Renewables Program: Approved and Completed PV Systems 1/1/05 to 12/31/06. Updated: January 7, 2008. MS Excel file, 8.69 megabytes)
- Energy Commission Emerging Renewables Program: Completed PV Systems Before 1/1/05. Updated: January 7, 2008. (MS Excel file, 4.94 megabytes)